Beginning your presentation
Audience members are often preoccupied. This chapter explains the best way get their attention and describes the key components of a strong beginning.
- Beginning your presentation intro
- What not to do
- Using a grabber
- Why you need an overview
- The credibility issue
- What's in it for them (WIIFT)?
- Beginning your presentation quiz
Ending your presentation
People tend to remember what they heard first and last, so make your ending count. Here we guide your through a two-step process to create a strong and lasting final impression.
- Ending your presentation intro
- What not to do
- Key components of a good ending
- Ending your presentation quiz
Preparation and planning
Never wing it! Preparation and planning are crucial. This chapter highlights how to prepare and plan an effective and engaging presentation.
- Preparation and planning intro
- Assessing your audience
- Using the analog approach
- Determining your core message
- Harnessing your passion
- Avoiding a data dump
- Preparation and planning quiz
Designing effective slides
Presentation apps can be powerful tools, but your slides should not overshadow your content. Learn the benefits of simplicity in slide design, and what to include in handouts.
- Designing effective slides intro
- Visual aid or stand-alone?
- Why simplicity is best
- Displaying data
- Slides versus handouts
- Designing effective slides quiz
Bringing your content alive
Your audience can only accept so much information without losing focus. This chapter teaches you various ways to engage your audience and keep their attention.
- Bringing your content alive intro
- Stories and case studies
- Quotes and statistics
- Humor and examples
- Bringing your content alive quiz
Practice, practice, practice
Great speakers spend many hours practicing to look so effortless. This chapter demonstrates behind-the-scenes strategies for effective practice and delivery of great presentations.
- Practice, practice, practice intro
- The value of practice
- How to practice
- Getting feedback
- Knowing when you are ready
- Practice, practice, practice quiz
Managing fear and anxiety
Even the most seasoned speaker experiences some stage fright. Learn how fear and anxiety can not only benefit the speaker but also help prevent a bland and boring presentation.
- Managing fear and anxiety intro
- The benefits of fear and anxiety
- Reducing pre-presentation stress
- Keeping calm and focused
- Managing fear and anxiety quiz
Presenting with finesse
Presenting skillfully can be challenging. You will learn how to avoid slide reading, communicate take-away messages, transition effectively, and use valuable software tips and tricks.
- Presenting with finesse intro
- Connecting with your audience
- Avoiding slide reading
- Determining your take-away
- Planning slide transitions
- Using the B key
- Jumping from slide to slide
- Considering Murphy's law
- Presenting with finesse quiz
Handling questions can be stressful for some speakers. This chapter shows the best way to get questions from the audience and an effective strategy for answering them.3 Lessons (6m 13s), 1 Quiz
Avoiding the seven deadly speaker mistakes
Some speaker mistakes are minor and will go unnoticed; commit any of the seven deadly mistakes, your presentation is doomed to fail! Learn how to avoid these deadly mistakes.
- Avoiding the seven deadly speaker mistakes intro
- Avoiding the seven deadly speaker mistakes quiz